Is watching Jiu Jitsu on YouTube a good idea?



In a world where it's so simple to deliver information, should we open ourselves to receive information from unknown sources? Is it wrong to use Youtube as a reference to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

Yes, and absolutely not, respectively

YouTube BJJ

Using YouTube as a tool to learn BJJ is a great idea, as long as you carefully pick who you are receiving this information from. When receiving information from, from a reliable or unknown source, you need to try it yourself. You can also consult with higher-skilled practitioners on the matter. The other day I came across this video on how to break the grip from the Worm guard. If you have not yet experienced being in someone's Worm guard, when it happens, you'll soon realize how much of a pain in the ass is to deal with it. My advice, do not let them set up the Worm guard and start passing right away. Nevertheless, no matter what you try to do on a guy like Keenan Cornelius, he will still find a way to Worm guard you.

As I was watching this video from a guy I have never seen before, the way he broke the grip was very unique. I watched the video a few more times to understand why the grip break worked. The very next morning, I went over to Gracie Barra Huntington Beach to train with world champ Otavio Sousa. While we were stretching out, I asked my friend to Worm guard me so that I can show Otavio what I have seen and get some feedback from him. On my first time showing him this, I have to admit, I was very nervous. I did not want ridicule myself. As I was working through the grip break... it worked! Not only did it work, Otavio asked me to show him the grip break again a few more times. I thought to myself, if he is asking to show him the move again then at least he is interested in learning it. After doing it a couple more times, he nodded his head and said, "that's pretty good". I had a smirk for the rest of the day knowing that the champ had picked up a new trick from me :D

As we were coming to an end of our specific training portion of our session, I asked the champ himself if he watched Jiu-Jitsu on YouTube. To my surprise, he said yes. The caveat to this was that he only watched videos on moves/techniques from competitors that successfully apply such in matches. For example, watching videos on Bernardo Faria on half guard or Romulo Barral doing the knee slice pass. As I thought about this, it made complete sense. Over time, you'll learn which competitor is good at doing certain moves. These same guys are putting up content on YouTube, mainly as a teaser to incentivize you to purchase their DVD set or online program. Do I think this is a sleazy sales strategy? Not at all. With that said, 99% of the time I do not purchase their DVDs or online BJJ training programs.

My advice

With an unlimited number of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu videos posted on YouTube, focus on a niche and get to know the subject matter experts on it. Perhaps you want to get more information on how to play De la Riva guard better. I would research the Mendes brothers (AOJ). Maybe you want to improve your butterfly guard, to which I would recommend you watch Marcelo Garcia (MG in Action). It is unfair to say that these guys are the only Jiu-Jitsu studs you should get your information on because there are a lot of great, unknown practitioners that could offer some great insight. Look for those lesser know people like Chewy from Chewjitsu, and try out their techniques/concepts in class. The most important tool for learning is trial and error.

Conclusion

Depending on how you leverage YouTube, it can be a great or awful tool to develop your Jiu-Jitsu. Pick out a niche, get to know the subject matter experts, research lesser known guys, consult with higher belts and professors what kind of information you have acquired, and most importantly, try these moves and find out for yourself if they work. A lot of the success in a technique has to do with your body mechanics (flexibility, injuries, height, etc).

Oss

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu @ ATOS San Diego, CA